Saturday, May 31, 2008

Invigorate Your Muse!

Perhaps it is because my mother taught me to treat books like sacred objects, or maybe because I have been and English teacher, I turn to books for ideas and ways to enliven my creative process. Today I visited the main branch of the Greenville County public library and I found two books that might be of interest to you.

The first is a new title on 14 day loan:
The New Writer's Handbook: A practical Anthology of the Best Advice for Your Craft and Career, edited by Philip Martin, published by Scarletta Press, and forward by Erika Jong. I like this book because of the way the contents are laid out. I can easily navigate the parts that interest me and skip the rest. From reading this title today I have created four pages of notes about one of my latest project and discovered several new resources that I was previously unaware of. This book certainly inspired me; It is nearly 11 p.m. and I'm up blogging about it! For an early-to-bed-early-to-rise girl like me, that's saying something!

The second title is exciting because the author found a dozen women to profile who are following their artistic dreams. The hook is that all of these women are senior citizens! Aging Artfully by Amy Gorman, profiles visual and performing women artists ages 85-105! If that doesn't get you to stop moaning that you're too old to follow your dreams, nothing will nudge you into action.

If you live in the area and want to check these books out, the first one will be returned in a few days, but both will be back in circulation before their due dates. Don't forget, you can reserve the books through your local library branch as well!

No comments: