Saturday, May 31, 2008

Memoir ~ Not Solely an End of Life Inventory

Are you at point in your life path where something has to change? Are you taking mental inventory and deciding what to do next? If so, CONGRATULATIONS!

Now, you might be a bit frustrated with what to do next, but don't fret. I have recently acquired a book by a favorite writing teacher of mine, Natalie Goldberg, that just may have the tools you need. Now, I have never met Ms. Goldberg (or her friend and another writing teacher I often turn to, Julia Cameron) but because her author's voice is so personal and she shares so many of her life experiences, I believe I know her. I am also pleased that her work can help a writer unblock herself, write through her mental processes and emerge with perspective and positive energy for her next steps forward. Goldberg's Old Friend from Far Away: The Practice of Writing Memoir is just that: practice, practice, practice.

I learned long ago that there is no way around my mental processes and the only method I have found to get past anything that continually infiltrates my thoughts it to work through it via writing. This book will help any reader do just that, and perhaps, in the end you'll have a memoir you'd hope to publish. If that is not your intention, with each of these exercises you've at least worked through your blocks and have more mental and emotional energy to spend on what is dearest and most significant for you.

Best wishes and good luck!

No comments: