Tuesday, December 02, 2008

Accept or Refuse -- No Middle Ground

We are rich only through what we give, and poor only through what we refuse."
-- Anne-Sophie Swetchine, Russian-French writer

www.istockphoto.com/file_thumbview_approve/279137/2/istockphoto_279137_money_mind.jpg

Every day I begin with an "absolutely must do" list. It is only one to three items but anything listed there is critical for me and my work. The items I accept and accomplish propel my work forward exponentially. The items I put off, I'm really refusing to do, perhaps forever. I had someone say to me recently, "I am amazed by how much you accomplish." I laughed and thought, I only do on to three things per day. How hard is that? Then, I started to think of all those other goals I have in life that are on the back burner -- like get into great physical condition -- that I do almost nothing to achieve each day.

I honestly admit that really, I'm refusing to do those things. Why? I loathe working out for exercise sake, but I do love yoga (since I am a certified Ashtanga primary series teacher) and walking. So, if there are healthy things I enjoy that also allow me to be in the moment and focus on what is truly important in the world, why don't I do it? Incidentally, this is the same question I ask artists and creative people of all ilk: Why, if you enjoy it, do you not make time for it?

The answer lies in our values. If I valued being healthy more than I value moving Votre Vray forward, I'd make it more of a priority. Like many, I take my health for granted -- a foolish mistake. If artists and creatives value their work more than their societal roles and day jobs, they'd put their art/craft first.

We're coming upon a the last few days of a year filled with changes we could have never fully anticipated. It isn't too late to make a move in a positive direction. What are you going to do to make something more valued in your life? I think I'll take a walk.

-Until next time,
keep creating.
-Mel.

No comments: