Saturday, December 06, 2008

Keep On Top of Your Game

Here is a sketch I made in 1997 of my (late) cat Beau-Beau. It is posted to illustrate that not only am I literary and oral story teller, but I also dabble in many other art and craft forms as well: knitting, spinning yarn, basket weaving, wood burning, folk painting, sketching, scrapbooking, and many other creative endeavors are part of my life just for the fun of it. One year, my best pal's birthday received homemade flower-shaped cookie pops (like lollipops but made of icing decorated cookies) displayed in a terracotta flowerpot. The point of this is not to get people to ooh or ahh over anything I've done in arts/crafts but to say that sometimes, when peace and joy are lacking, it is a good idea to try to make things outside of your normal medium. It relaxes the mind and body a bit, and allows new energy to come in. Honestly, if every bit of creative work I did was for money and for an audience, I'd be as grumpy as a person who never got to create at all. Give yourself a break. Play a little.

Until next time,
keep creating!
-Mel.

No comments: