Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Warm-hearted Crafter Becomes Fiber Artist

The following is an excerpt of an interview of Bailey Earith for Votre Vray Creative Women by Mel. Edwards.

Every day in crafting stores around the world, a child spies a kit that looks fun an interesting. Begging ensues. Parents either foster the creativity (“You want to make that? Okay. Put it in the cart.”), site financial obstacles (“Not today. We can’t afford that.”), demand shared ownership (“How much of your allowance do you have left?”), or shoot down the request (“No. You have plenty of toys at home. You don’t need that. It’s junk anyway.”). Bailey Earith was lucky enough to have a family that encouraged her creativity. “I started with kits as a kid and my work developed from there.”

“Growing up, waaay back I used to just consider myself a crafter. My original training was occupational therapy, which developed from a post-WWII program for shell-shocked veterans. I had to learn ceramics, woodwork, mosaic, knitting, crocheting, etc. so I could teach others. I wanted to take it to the next level. Then I read a book that stated the words you use affect your life. I decided from then on to take the title of artist and the change was immediate.” Bailey’s favorite quote? “Whether you think you can, or think you can’t you’re right.” – Henry Ford “I so believe that. My special passion is empowering mentally challenged people to help them create arts and bring it to market. I also teach arts at retreats to help people with their personal journeys. We make spirit dolls.”

Bailey adds, “I’m not religious, more spiritual, more Dr. Wayne Dyer and honoring American Indian traditions. So, when I say this, it may not be what religious people think of, but I say, do what makes you happy. Be true to who you are. Believe. Then you will (be able to do create your vision).”

*********
Bailey’s work can be found at: www.BaileyFiberArt.com

No comments: